Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Miss!

WRITE your slice. SHARE your link. GIVE some comments to (at least three) other slicers. If you're leaving your comment early in the day, please consider returning this evening or tomorrow to read some of our evening posters' slices.

Arab students are famous for calling their female teachers, "Miss". At times it can get very annoying.

"Miss!"
"What's my name?"
"Mrs. Lonheim."
"What can I do for you?"
"Miss, …"

It happens all day long, every day. I have been experiencing it since 2005. You might think that by now I would just give up. Yesterday's Social Studies lesson put a new twist on it.

We are brushing up on map skills, right now focusing on absolute location - latitude and longitude. To practice their ability to read coordinates they were playing Battleship in partners.

"Miss!"

I turn, but no one is looking at me.

A few moments later I hear it again.

"Miss!"

And then I clue in. "Miss" rather than "hit" as they respond to their partner's strategic calls in Battleship.

2 comments:

  1. Aha! This slice made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, this is wonderful. And it also reminded me that I've somehow never played Battleship. I need to remedy that!

    ReplyDelete