Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Report Cards


My new role as Instructional Coach has many aspects that thrill me. If I am being honest, not writing report cards is one of them. I'm not sure whose brilliant idea it was to have me oversee the process of improving and aligning report cards across the school, but it has happened. 

I loved the PD aspects; conversations, pushing thinking, collaborating, etc. This year K - 8 have taken on the challenge. The process has been a journey I am proud to be a part of. Teachers are digging in and doing the work and now the rubber hits the road as the first semester ends. With 800+ students and only a handful of native English speakers in the school I am ending up with WAY more time on report cards than I ever spent in the classroom. The irony is not lost on me.

5 comments:

  1. The one benefit of reading other people report cards is that you learn about different students and teachers. 800 is a lot though. Wishing you patience. The reports will go out soon and then you can get back to to the more enjoyable parts of coaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, that is a lot! No proofreading pal system to get some of the mistakes ironed out first? I think we teachers need to find a way to simplify reports yet make them still meaningful.
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not the first pair of eyes, by any means and we have done quite a bit of work to make the process as simple as possible. This school is unique in that there are VERY few native English speakers.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! So what started out as a gift turned out to be anything but! :(

    ReplyDelete