Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Give Yourself A Break


It feels good to be slicing. It is like a great workout. Getting up the gumption to do it sometimes seems insurmountable, but once you start you are glad you have - and afterwards you have that 'feels so good' high.

It is absolutely pathetic that I haven't sliced since last spring. It isn't that I haven't been writing, but not with these muscles. It feels good to use these muscles again.

The purpose of slicing is different than the writing I have been doing, as well as the lens with which I look at my writing, has been different. All the mini-lessons on narrative writing flit to the front of my mind as I look critically at the previous paragraphs.

Best advice I ever received as a 'slicer', "It's draft writing - give yourself a break."

5 comments:

  1. That is seriously good advice! Treating it like a workout is a very good idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The part about "writing muscles" is true, and even they need to rest sometimes. I used to beat myself up a lot for not having a better routine. I've learned that only paralyzes me further. Here you are, showing up for the writing ... it will show up for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Process over product, right? Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that once you finish, you do feel that writer's high!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your advice! I tend to overthink it too much.

    ReplyDelete