Tuesday, January 24, 2017

On A Scale of 1 - 10



Have you ever had a medical professional ask you how much it hurts, on a scale of one to ten? At least for me, being in labor at the hospital I was asked this question often. The experience of delivering my daughter with nothing but cranberry juice and water expanded my idea of pain. 

That being said, pain is a regular part of my life. I have 'chronic classic migraines' and have since 1998. I also have a pain in the neck from severely compressed vertebrae that are trying to grow together and no space in the spinal column around those vertebra. This is not a 'woe's me' story. This is background information for my recent revelation. 

Yesterday I had a debilitating migraine and in the midst of the pain I found myself thinking, "On a scale of one to ten, what is my pain level?" Now I am pretty sure that back labor reached a ten at times, but what about this pain? The process of trying to categorize my current pain distracted me from the pain itself. I found myself debating if this was more or less than the worst of labor.

Ultimately I reached a conclusion, though it didn't come until the pain had abated (thanks to lots of fantastic pills). I realized that pain in your head has a different scale than pain anywhere else as the pain in your head makes it hard to even think about how much the pain hurts as it absorbs all ability to think at all. So, on a scale of one to ten? I just might answer "kumquat". 

7 comments:

  1. Ugh! That's awful. As soon as I feel a headache coming I need to start pain medicine or it will get debilitating. You really can't do anything with an awful headache! Hope today is pain free

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine living with that level of pain on a recurring basis:( Kumquat might distract you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this. Headache pain stops me in my tracks. I can't do anything I enjoy. I love your new answer, cumquat!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry ... I had migraines as a child, due to allergies, and they were painful .. long hours in dark rooms ... be well!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I tell people about the pain of a dislocated hip, I say that on a scale of 1 to 10, the pain is a 25. I am so sorry that you have to go through this so frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry from me. Wish there was something more I could do. Please know I hope you feel better, ASAP!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pain is something I can hardly bear. I'm sorry you had such suffering.

    ReplyDelete