Tuesday, January 16, 2018

"No Devices At The Table!"



"No devices at the table!" is said in exasperation, again, by the third grader.

Yes, you read that correctly. It is the child who is the enforcer of this rule and more than 3/4 of the way through nine weeks with grandparents in the house she has had to say it more than ever.

Oh, the irony.

It has been fascinating to me that over the past two months the over seventy crowd has been much more attached to their devices than the rest of us. This has been true both at our house and as we have traveled. 

At one point we are on a layover at some airport and I went to forging for snacks in whatever shops I could find. I came back to find three 70-something-year olds with their noses in their phones or iPads while the third grader played cards with her dad. Yes, I snapped a picture!

I love that she is very adamant that devices not come to the table, though there is some balance to be found between this rule - that I wholeheartedly agree with - and how to put her foot down and be respectful of her elders at the same time.

If nothing else, these moments that I share with her now I am storing away for the moments when she is tempted to revamp the rules.

5 comments:

  1. How fun that your 3rd grader is saying this to her grandparents. Good for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this slice. The younger generation teaching the older ones about balanced tech life. A good rule to enforce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha love it!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is too hysterical. I think I have to be the enforcer of this rule at our dinner table with just Dave and me now. I remember being on vacation with all of our 20 somethings just scrolling away. Soon with their own families they will have to become the enforcers of this new world. I'm glad your daughter has learned this and isn't afraid to teach others! o

    ReplyDelete