Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Four And A Half

sols_6

It was after her clocked turned yellow, yet she had not emerged from her room, nor had I heard her talking or singing. I quietly went in to start waking her up. I rubbed her back and softly sang.

"Happy half birthday to you.
Happy half birthday to you.
Happy half birthday dear G.
Happy half birthday to you."

She never opened her eyes, but a smile spread across her face as I sang. I left the light on low and returned to the kitchen to work on lunches.

A few minutes later I went back to her room, glad to see her eyes were open. She smiled at me. As I gave her a big hug I asked if the Birthday Girl was ready for her vitamins. She shook her head and held out her thumb.

"I am ready to have it taste yucky," she told me.

I have been doing something right. As we have led up to the auspicious occasion of being four and a half we have talked about making her thumb taste yucky so she will remember to not suck it.

She has a friend who has been down this road and has given her first hand accounts of how well it works (and how yucky it tastes!) I bought the same stuff her parents used and crossed my fingers.

We the first painting of the thumb a special family moment. She was beaming and told us proudly she would never suck her thumb again.

Just before leaving for school we hit a bump in the road. She was told she would have to wait until tomorrow for something. The bottom lip trembled a bit, but she didn't lose it.

Next thing I knew I heard a gagging sound and went to investigate. I did not want her to be sick on her half birthday (nor did I want her to miss her field trip). I located her and asked if she was OK. She said yes and stuck out her tongue, looking like Mr. Yuck.

"It doesn't taste very good, does it?" I inquired.

(At least we know the stuff works!)

4 comments:

  1. Awww. I could just picture her little smile in bed and the way she stuck out her tongue like Mr. Yuck. What a little sweetheart!

    I love that you celebrated her half birthday with a song. My dad used to do that for me when I was a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi,
    I love how you celebrated her half birthday-that's so sweet. Hopefully, the thumb sucking will come to an end-both of my kiddos had, are having a hard time giving up their binkies. It's been a challenge but will hopefully end in giving it "to the squirrels". Being a parent is very stressful sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a memorable way to celebrate a half birthday! Giving up the thumb, the binky, the blanket or whatever the lovey is always hard for kids so combining it in a way with a half birthday sounds like a way to celebrate and move forward!

    ReplyDelete