Friday, March 2, 2012

Flipping the Page

March SOLC

I was never one for carrying a Day Planner or a Palm Pilot. I like the feel of an actual calendar. Paper. Month view. It could be checkbook size - fine, but I like seeing the month laid out before me. I put up a big month calendar in my classroom. I like having squares to write in and there is something about having completed a month and turning the page that is so fulfilling.

Funny to think that finishing a month has a sense of accomplishment when you don't have to do anything except wait and the month will end. Still, I feel I have made it through something. The fresh page before me holds all kinds of possibilities and newness. (Is it only me?!)

Last year I put some of our summer dates into Google Calendar and shared it with the people who would be needing to know where we would be and when. It was a fabulous tool for planning, especially from a distance. I could see their schedule. They could see mine. We could invite one another to things. It was really slick.

Now I have started using Google Calendar almost exclusively. There are so many things I like about my switch, but I miss the sense of accomplishment of having completed a month and being able to flip the page. So, here I am in March without getting having to turn a page.

8 comments:

  1. I am using both, on my mac and a spiral calendar with pages for notes. I love your saying you like to see it all laid out before you. And you like turning the pages as if it's an accomplishment. Me, too. It somehow helps me plan to see the week after week. Now the online sharing is good to do, isn't it, right there as we talk. Amazing the new communication tools! Thanks for the thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love calendars. I use an app on my #fancyphone that syncs with Google Calendar. (At least I hope in syncs...because if anything ever happened to it, I'd be the one SUNK!) I love the idea of thinking about a calendar for a slice. I might have to give it a whirl as a topic this month.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you! So...I have an Outlook calendar, a Google calendar, and a large paper calendar book not to mention a calendar on the refrigerator.

    "but I miss the sense of accomplishment of having completed a month and being able to flip the page." This part really spoke to me which is why I still have the book. I like to cross things off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo your feelings as well. I use Google calendar and love the convenience of it. However, I cannot give up the tangible calendar. Mine is an At-a-Glance Academic version --another favorite brand that I have used for years. I also like reading the newspaper in hand--flipping those pages -- even though I often read parts of it online. I wonder if it is something ingrained, cultural, or age-related.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a google calendar, a wall calendar, a calendar in my purse, and my calendar in my teacher bag. Without all of them I wouldn't survive. I do love the calendar both virtually and paperwise. I loved using google calendar for my students. The sharing is powerful. As a ninth grade team is was even a more powerful too for students!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love calendars and was already planning a slice about them. I love your line that the fresh page before me holds all kinds of possibilities and newness! Imagine my surprise when I went to "flip" one of my calendars to discover that it was still on January! Does that say something about my too busy life?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the feel of having a calendar in my hands...Electronic versions scare me because I am always afraid of technology failing...it happens too frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think of my Lesson Planner as a 'calendar', but I do still use paper for that. When the day comes that I have a smart phone or iPad that might change. I do love to put sticky notes all over it and the electronic stickies just don't cut it for me.

    ReplyDelete