Sunday, September 22, 2013

Snip

I went to the store this morning. On my way home I got a text from J saying, "You need to be forewarned. G cut a small lock of her hair."

I came home to this evidence.

IMG_1621

I had taken a look through the house when I came in and didn't see G anywhere. She was hiding in a corner. When I asked her what happened (remember she is an only child) she told me her sister cut her hair.

Note: This is not the first time her sister has been a part of our world. Her sister, Sabine, has been around for more than a year. She also has a brother Karim.

I asked her if that was the truth. She shook her head, but remained mute on the subject. I racked my brain trying to put myself in her position, what would her motivation have been? I took a guess.

"Were you using your scissors and wondering how they might work on your hair?"

An emphatic nod.

"What did you think when it worked?"

Nothing.

"Did you think 'Oh No!' or did you think 'Cool!'?

Her face lit up as I put words to her scrambled thoughts.

"Cool!" she replied.

We talked about how scissors are only for paper, and only appropriate paper at that. She knows her scissors are no longer available for her to use unsupervised, rather she has to earn back the ability to have them anytime she wants.

I showed her how, when her hair goes in a pony tail now not all of it is long enough. She didn't like that and tried to fix it with a headband, which didn't work either.

"Has this all really sunk in?" I wondered until we sat down for our typical Sunday second breakfast of French Toast. She said the blessing and told God she was sorry she cut her hair.

Fortunately her hair is curly and the weather is humid enough that you can't really tell. It sure could have been worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment