Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A New Twist On A Soccer Tournament



I am in pain, which is not unusual. A migraine has started and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. What is different about this one is that I am in the middle of a soccer tournament. I am on a huge field that has three games going on at once. I am trying to keep track of some kids. Everything seems a bit muddled and hard to track. I seem to have lost someone I am responsible for, but a ref stops me and says they know where they are. It is all very strange and then I wake up.

I haven't been to a soccer tournament since watching my nephews play at least six years ago. That should have been my first clue something was up. Unfortunately the pain part hadn't left when I woke from the dream. That's a first.

Yes, I live with pain often. I get migraines several times a week. In addition I have severe compression in my spinal column that also leads to periods of pain. I am not saying this to complain. There are many who have it much worse than I do. Most of the time I am able to live a pretty normal life while my ways of treating my pain keep things tolerable.

Why am I writing about this today? Even after the drugs have kicked in that dream lingers. The pain in the dream was real. My body had simply taken what it was feeling and spun a dream web around it. At least half of my migraines wake me up, but I have never remembered dreaming about them before. I wonder if this is a fluke or the start of a new pattern. Could be a fun twist to see how my mind tries to explain the pain. I'm going to have to pay attention.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written. I am a migraine sufferer, and I can understand fully this pain. The struggle you capture so well--trying to push through the pain in order to participate in a public activity. It is very difficult!

    ReplyDelete