Thursday, May 29, 2014

Thankful Thursday



Clouds before the storm by Joe-Butler

I am thankful for a breeze.

I sure can't complain. We have had week after week after week of 70 degree weather. (It is probably closer to two months, but I realize the winter some of you have had so I won't rub it in too hard.) Our weather pattern has only been interrupted by one day of rain and two days of 80 something throughout that time, until this week. We are on our third day in the eighties. The humidity hasn't ramped up yet and today there is a fabulous breeze.

I am thankful for the breeze.

Yes, we have central air and many days I am thankful for that, but Beirut also has rolling black outs daily. When our power supply is cut we go onto a building diesel generator. The generator greatly reduces our electric supply thus no air for those three hour chunks. (And on days that the cut is 6 a.m. - 9 a.m. it is often cut again at 6 p.m. until who-knows-when.)

Today we were due to be without power from 3 p.m. - 6 p.m. (How do we know when it will happen? There is a pattern - and an app - to figure it out.) It is hard to come home from a long day, trudging up the hill with a little one, to end up in a toasty house. (Yes, #firstworldproblems, I know.)

As we were walking up the hill today I noticed a breeze. At first I thought it was simply because we were getting a lucky breath right off the water, but as we took each step away from the water and the breeze continued I started to get hopeful. Sure enough, I opened the slider to the balcony and the breeze was still blowing. After opening the entire house it was only moments before my daughter went in search of a hoodie.

I am thankful for the breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment