Thursday, March 21, 2013

Workshop Model in the Math Classroom


I would guess that many, if not most, of us teach language arts through the workshop model. I had a math collegue come back from a class with Erma Anderson asking if I could tell her more about the workshop model. Erma had been talking about how math was heading in the same direction. 

I had never thought about it before, but that really is how I teach math as well - a mini lesson, time for them to work through concepts at their own pace while I confer with them as individuals or in small groups, reflecting on their learning, and a time to share what they have learned.

Anyone else see the connection?

2 comments:

  1. Yes it is a natural. I am not quite there because of our current math series, etc. but am on that thinking path. You go trailblazer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder, would it be more challenging or equally natural as reading-writing workshop.

    ReplyDelete