Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Favorite Book? (2/31)

  2 of 31 - SOLSC 2021


What's your favorite book? For me, that depends.

If I am forced to make a quick, as an adult answer, I tend towards The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. It is the only book I have ever read that when I finished the final sentence I immediately flipped back to the beginning and started reading it again. I HAD to. I was compelled to read it again, now that I knew what I had learned. It is a book that follows multiple storylines masterfully woven together. I was curious to re-read the book for all the treasures I had missed as I was trying to figure out what was happening.


Fifth grade is the grade level I have taught the most. When I am asked about my favorite book at that age my answer is Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. My daughter recently picked up my copy from way back then. There were several times a teary eyed girl would show up at my side, needing to crawl into my lap, wondering if the next part was as painful to read because the story was told so well. 

It wasn't very long before she returned the book to me, satisfied. "My mom likes good books," she smiled. Now she is headed there and back again with Bilbo. 




7 comments:

  1. Entering a conversation, or a post, about favorite books feels like settling down with a warm cup of tea on a cozy chair. So welcoming and inviting! Thanks for sharing some book love. I find it challenging to pick one favorite book, but you've reminded me that I would probably enjoy rereading "Island of the Blue Dolphins." Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March 2nd seems like an appropriate day for talking about books (not that I ever need an excuse!)

      Delete
  2. Hi Kristi! It is nice to be back slicing with you! I fondly remember our Voxer group days with you, Kathleen, Stacey, Michelle, Erika, Leah, Deb, Nicolette, Dalila, Fran, Liz and anyone else I missed! Your slice made me think about my favorite books from fifth grade! Thank you for bringing the memory back! (For me it was From the Mixed Up Files and Rats of Nimh and anything Beverly Cleary!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana! Mixed Up Files was a favorite read aloud for years and years!

      Delete
  3. I love the sentence you wrote about your daughter coming back to you for comfort while reading Island of the Blue Dolphins! And how could she not love The Hobbit?!? Happy Reading! (I've decided to reread The Sparrow when I get the chance, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bilbo is a good companion ...
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gone with the Wind did that to me. I read it over and over, and bawled each time I did!
    But Island of the Blue Dolphins is my next TBR!

    ReplyDelete