Wednesday, March 17, 2021

I 'Just' Want To Say... (17/31)

 17 of 31 - SOLSC 2021


You know how when you are shopping for a car you start seeing it everywhere? This is true whenever we raise our awareness about something, we start seeing it more - even in places we didn't realize it was residing. For me I am currently on a journey to detach the word "just" from places it holds onto, but doesn't belong, within my own language use.

Have you ever noticed the word "just"?

I just want to say that....
I am just going to...
I just meant...

I think of "just" as having two meanings. One is related to justice and the other is "only" or "simply". The examples I listed previously fall into the latter category. 

The thing is, I have found that I don't mean 'just' when I say it. Somehow 'just' has become this word that is used to try and soften the tone. I hear it now, in both my own and other's language.

Knowing I don't mean it I have taken to allowing those around me to be a part of the journey. When I notice myself using 'just', I interrupt my own sentence and interject, "I am working on not saying 'just'. Let me try that again." I then repeat what I said, omitting the culprit.

Anyone else on the 'just' journey?

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this topic. There was a word I used frequently too. This is a reminder for us to be aware of the words we 'over use' and find ways to consciously use them less frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 'just' might join you in this endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting post. I've found myself in the past noticing that word more in how frequently people use it. But I like the thoughts you've shared about the meaning too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reflection on using ‘just’. Next time I use it I will pause and ask myself if it is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How thought provoking! Glad I read this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm! Interesting, let me step back, and think.🤔

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate this reflection and example, Kristi. I know this habit well and would/will need to apply myself to more conscious use. The key is arriving at the awareness. Your post presents a unique opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to say I now have this word stuck in my head, and I'm going to hear it everywhere now!

    ReplyDelete