Sunday, March 14, 2021

Memory Is A Funny Thing (14/31)

  14 of 31 - SOLSC 2021


Christine opened her session reminding us of the power of read aloud for growing spelling skills; the foundations of phonological awareness that are fun to explore and the joy of manipulating phonemes that come with silly picture books.

Highlighting a few examples she came to Shark in the Park. I had forgotten about this book, but more importantly I had forgotten the hundred of times we had read Rub a Dub Sub a decade ago to our daughter.

Walking into the other room with my wireless headphone still hearing the conversation I quickly put my hands on Sheep in a Jeep. I suspected 
Rub a Dub Sub to be in my daughter's room so messaged my husband to request it be delivered to me as I returned to my Zoom screen. 

"I can't find it," he replied.

"It's in her room, probably in the closet stash of books," I typed back.

"She swears it's not in her room." Followed by, "She doesn't remember the book."

What?! How can she not remember this book with Jeff Mack's vibrant illustrations and LInda Ashman's suspenseful story and enticing words?

Isn't it interesting that we can experience the same thing and it have such a varying impact? In reality she has read the book more than I have as she had the culminating reads of both of her parents (and anyone else she could get to open it). She may not remember the words. I do know the love of rhyme, the sound of well placed words, and a fascination of sea creatures were planted in her each time that sub sank into the bathtub.

3 comments:

  1. She may not remember it or she doesn't want to look for it....far more likely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Déjà vu. For some strange reason your post made me say, 'There's a Wocket in My Pocket,' and smile at my laptop remarking, 'TRUE THAT!' Same experiences different impact, purpose being, WE GAVE IT OUR BEST, and LEAVE THE REST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you are familiar with that tingle you feel when you hold a book in your hands you've read so many times you still remember the words by heart! And by virtue of child-seniority, I remember entire stories from 20 years ago! I even remember that squeaky voice I used for some of the characters! Love this post for bringing back so many happy memories.

    ReplyDelete