Monday, March 8, 2021

"Snow Day" Feelings (8/31)

  8 of 31 - SOLSC 2021


"Wow! The wind is really strong. It was trying to blow in the windows," says my daughter as she rinses out her paint brushes before bed. I am quickly moving towards her room. I know it wasn't the wind, and I wonder if there will be more. 

"Snow Days" are a thing of the past for most, though they were never really a possibility here. Same with "Rain Days". I expect days in our future when rains keep the building closed because of safety concerns for people being on the road and we return to the virtual realm for a day or two of school. (Prior to this my longest virtual teaching stint was a week due to the flooding that happened in Jeddah many years ago.)

Today is a new one. It is "Drone Strike Day" following attempts last night by the Houthi rebels to hit targets near us. Debris from the missile that was shot down have been found, but "Missile Strike Day" sounds too ominous. There were drone strikes yesterday as well, just not in as close proximity to us. 

School is virtual, (today actually marks the one year date of the last day students were in the building,) though some activity on campuses has been happening; administrators and district office staff have been going in, assessments happening. Today, everyone is home. 

As the announcement came through last night I found myself feeling giddy and immediately recognized the feeling from childhood of a snow day being called. This isn't that. My feelings recentered themselves. No, we can't binge watch late into the night or make plans for a movie day, school is still happening. I'm thankful that Spring Break is only days away.

8 comments:

  1. If you want the news version... https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/saudi-houthi-attack-ras-tanura-aramco/2021/03/07/77f29148-7f72-11eb-9ca6-54e187ee4939_story.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I will definitely be reading up on this. How scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drone strike days - yikes. School seems to pale in comparison with that reality.
    I hope you remain safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish children did not have to experience the very harsh realities of the world. I hope you and your family can stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Kristi, I had to read this twice to realize what you were talking about. Stay safe, and enjoy every moment of spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This doesn't sound good at all. I'm sure writing about the fear and uncertainty we all feel helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is scary and something that we're all feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a stark contrast between the joys of a snow day and the horrors of a drone strike day. Stay safe and be well.

    ReplyDelete