Tuesday, March 15, 2016

SOLSC: I can't believe they just ____________!

It's March - Time for the month long Slice of Life challenge thanks to Two Writing Teachers.


Do you have those moments? The ones that you think "I can't believe they just ____________!" I sure do. 

This is a thought that crosses my mind more than once a year: How long do you have to wait to post things about a particular class, school, parent etc.? One advantage to teaching overseas is that if I wait for a period of time, what I write about could be from the last school or the one before that or the one before that. No one would be able to figure out which school or student or parent I am writing about. In order to remember the moments, perhaps I need to write the post and keep it as a draft. Eventually I would come across it again and could hit 'publish'. After eleven years at several school in the Middle East I have stories to tell.

I have taught with a deaf librarian. Seriously. A lovely person, but there was no such thing as whispering to converse with them. I have had a student write about how much they wished their mom wouldn't have any more plastic surgery and then shared that writing in a conference. I have had a student who, during the 5th grade puberty talk, wanted to understand how the Virgin Mary had a baby, (especially touchy since the child was not Christian.) I have had a parent berate their child when you are conferencing with them and their child to try and collectively support the child in making better choices (and then go home and beat them). I have had parents in shock that their child was able to find inappropriate content on the internet when they live in a country that supposedly blocks all inappropriate content. 

I am sure you have had your "I can't believe they just ____________!" moments as well. Teaching: always keeps you on your toes!

No comments:

Post a Comment