Wednesday, March 16, 2016

SOLSC - A Perfect Lunch

It's March - Time for the month long Slice of Life challenge thanks to Two Writing Teachers.
(Somewhere in the middle of this post is the halfway point of the March Slice of Life Challenge. It's all down hill from here, right?!)


There are times when I am hungry and there is nothing I can think of that sounds really good - or at least nothing I can find in this town. Don't get me wrong. I am happy to make my own food, and almost always do. In this town, across the world from 'home', there are things I just can't get.

I have not had a Truffle Hunter sandwich in soooo long. In fact, really great sandwiches in general are hard to come by here. Even if I can't find my way to Gresham, Oregon I could make one - if I had all of the ingredients.

Ah, to dream of a perfect lunch. 
Hmmm...

My mouth salivates as I think of what I could make. First of all, it has to start with good bread - nice and fresh and chunkily sliced. Then, the sandwich I am thinking of would have cream cheese spread thickly, but not too thick, on one piece of the multigrain bread. On top of this protector of the bread there is a layer of whole cranberry sauce followed by sprouts (or green onions - even cucumbers could work). The other piece of bread would have a thin layer of brown mustard and then some paper thin, nearly translucent, sliced smoked turkey. Put it together, cut it in half, and yummy!

I would need a glass of water (no ice) to go with it and one large handful of potato chips (black pepper?). Something rich and chocolatey would be needed to make this the perfect lunch - a piece of flourless torte, perhaps.

What else?
A small salad?
A bit of fruit; grapes, strawberries, or 1/2 a banana?
A glass of wine?

This lunch is best as a picnic; beneath a big shade tree, out at the beach, on a mountain - doesn't matter, but outside and warm enough to be in short sleeves, but not so warm you are sweating.

To top it all off would be lunchtime conversation with a dear friend.

3 comments:

  1. Okay woman, you are just cruel! C-R-U-E-L. I sit here no where near any of those ingredients and salivating worse than Pavlov's pooches! Delicious write and yes, must have a lunch buddy to be complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at the word "truffle." I am so hungry right now, and you described a perfect meal for this moment. My stomach is growling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds glorious, Kristi, and you have me thinking of sandwiches, fried egg ones actually, with a sliced avocado and swiss cheese and those vinegar and pepper kettle chips along with a giant chewy chocolate chip cookie. Your post here inspired me today. :-)

    ReplyDelete