Sunday, March 10, 2013

The 7:59 Goal

WRITE your slice. SHARE your link. GIVE some comment-goodness to three other slicers.

Student led conferences are fabulous for many reason that I mentioned here. One of the other reasons I love them is to be a part of the team helping each student to reach their goals. Not only does the student write out their goal including the steps they will take to meet it, they also include what kind of support they would like from both myself and their parents.

This year I had a student come up with one (with a little help) that is new to me, but I really think it will work for them.

This student is very capable, but has a tendency to procrastinate. (I know, that doesn't narrow it down a whole lot.) There are times when this student would like to bounce ideas off their parents, have their parents look over their work, or need a little clarification. This student tends to wait to bring these things up with their parents until it is nearly bed time. Not a successful time for anyone.

That is not going to be a successful strategy anymore. Why? Written into the signed goal sheet their parents will not help, encourage, answer, or otherwise engage about school work after 7:59 pm.

Isn't that brilliant? I sure hope the parents stick to it.

3 comments:

  1. I need to share your post with a few teachers! I love the idea of a goal sheet with a time on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! It will be interesting to see how it works. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great idea! I love finding ways to help our students be more responsible- this should help put your student on the right path!

    ReplyDelete