Saturday, March 18, 2017

My Meteorological Skills

This post is part of the Slice of Life March Challenge hosted by Two Writing Teachers.
Check it out and join us.
Three days ahead of the official end of winter, and I use that term very loosely from here in The Sandbox, I make the following observation.

We have been absolutely blessed with the most wintery weather I have ever had here. We bought screens for our windows and have been sleeping with fresh night air for months. I had to buy socks and wear something other than sandals, which I have never done in this country. It has been fantabulous. 

Camping last night, in the middle of a wadi, with sand and palm trees and geologic wonders and a galaxy of stars, (and eventually a really bright moon that woke me up because it was shining in my eyes) it got down to the low 50s - downright chilly. (Remember, everything is relative.)

We return home and step out of the luxury of our vehicle, with its climate control capabilities, to discover that it has gotten warmer and really humid while we were gone! Bummer.

I am very aware that it is going to get much hotter and the humidity is going to stick around - for months on end. Again, it's all relative and I quickly change my mindset from 'bummer' for our present weather condition to so thankful that we have made it nearly an entire calendar 'winter'.

(Epilogue: I checked my weather app to see how hot and how humid and then chuckled and considered scrapping this post. I guess I have been waiting, perhaps even holding my breath, for the weather to change. It turns out that I jumped to conclusions. This rise in temperature and jump in humidity is because there is 55% chance of a rain shower in three hours. After that the winds pick up and we will go back to 'winter' - at least for another week. Hamdallah.)

5 comments:

  1. Ah...heat sounds so nice right now! We were celebrating because we could go outside in regular clothing with just a jacket. It'll be months still before we can sleep with the windows open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your description of camping in the desert with the stars and moon so bright and just thought "wow! what a great experience." It's one not many people get to have. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the glimpse of life in the "Sandbox." Camping under the stars sounds divine as does 50 degree weather. It was 22 below here this last week with the windchill. Downright brutal.
    http://travelinma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, everything is indeed relative! I'd love some hot, humid weather right now. ;-) Glad you enjoyed some cooler weather, though. I'm sure all that heat can get oppressive. Loved this description: "Camping last night, in the middle of a wadi, with sand and palm trees and geologic wonders and a galaxy of stars, (and eventually a really bright moon that woke me up because it was shining in my eyes)..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see your photos!

    I always celebrate when it is cool enough to wear socks here in Venezuela too! hahaha

    ReplyDelete