Monday, March 27, 2017

Poem In Your Pocket Day

This post is part of the Slice of Life March Challenge hosted by Two Writing Teachers.
Check it out and join us.
This week is Reading Week and today is 'Poem In Your Pocket Day'. 

I choose to do our poetry unit in April. One reason is because it is National Poetry Month in the US, so there are lots of ideas floating around, but that isn't my main reason.

I like the timing of April for poetry. I find it to be an engaging way to return from Spring Break. Plus, it is a shorter unit and we only have school for a couple of weeks that month. 

All of that being said, I did not do a bunch of prep with my students for today. I did mention it yesterday, reminding them that they could bring one with them. During writing time this morning one of their options was to write a poem, but I didn't push it and barely encouraged it. 

So, I am pleasantly surprised to look around the room during snack and see several students sharing poems with one another - boys and girls alike. One student even brought me a poem to add to the one in my pocket (that I had jotted on a sticky note this morning).

5 comments:

  1. I love teaching poetry--your students must understand that you do as well or they wouldn't have so much energy without the reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love teaching poetry--your students must understand that you do as well or they wouldn't have so much energy without the reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that a student brought you a poem! Happy almost poetry month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are in the midst of our poetry unit now- I wish it coincided with Poetry Month in the US, but there will be a few days of overlap. I love how students change their mind about poetry over the course of the unit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We'll celebrate PIYPD late in April in my small rural school in Indiana. We'll write poems, and because we are "Ireland, IN," we'll definitely write more limericks. Our plan is to share a poem with kindergarten students, and then help them write their own. Enjoy! And hats off to the student who brought you a poem!!

    ReplyDelete