Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Spirit Week Conversations At Home

14 of 31 - SOLSC 2018


The Slice of Life March Challenge is hosted by Two Writing Teachers and part of the Slice of Life Story Challenge that takes place each Tuesday throughout the year and everyday in March. It is a supportive (and awesome!) community of those trying their hand at writing and encouraging others in their writing. Join us!


Makeup Monday

She's eight. She can't wait to be a teenager. The good news is, after I gave her the opportunity to try out a makeup set someone had given her, we decided that she would only wear eyeshadow and lip gloss to school. Just before we walked out the door I added some glitter to the look. "Mommy, you're the best - ever!" was her reaction. #phew #mommywin


Throwback Tuesday

"Mom, is that what you really used to wear?" She asks as she comes into the kitchen to get her breakfast, finding me in jeans and a (pretty hideous) polyester shirt.

"This kind of shirt is older than me - it's even older than Daddy!"

"But the jeans are from now, right?"

"Jeans are over a hundred years old."

"No way!"


Wacky Wednesday

"Do you have your clothes picked out for tomorrow?" I ask as we are finishing dinner.

"I do! I'm wearing what would be THE wackiest thing you could wear on a wacky dress up day - I'm dressing normally," says the eight year old.

8 comments:

  1. I can't believe how much more savvy eight year olds are than when I was eight. I didn't know anything about fashion or makeup, and still don't know a whole lot! She also sounds so smart: "I'm wearing ...THE wackiest thing you could wear...I'm dressing normally." I also didn't know anything about irony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great out of the box thinking. I like how you got mommy points by adding glitter. Sometimes so little is needed to make a child happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the structure of this slice. Three minis linked together. Times really have changed, haven't they? I don't remember anyone in third grade caring much about how they looked, what they wore. You can never go wrong with a little glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, spirit week! What's cool is that you can both get into it. I like the way you've created momentum with these episodes. I'm totally curious what Thursday and Friday will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your posts! You communicate so much so well in a few lines of dialogue. You are inspiring me to try. Also, your daughter sounds like a sweetheart--must be good parenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Under promise and over deliver isn't just a sales technique - it's for parents too! :) What fun little snippets of what a kid is thinking during a week of dressing differently . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your mommy commentaries - very sweet writing.

    ReplyDelete