Tuesday, March 23, 2021

For the Umpteenth Time (23/31)

  23 of 31 - SOLSC 2021


"There's another example," I say to my class - for the umpteenth time.

I don't need to put it in my first day lesson plan as it is inevitable - I will make a mistake. That is the opportunity to point out that I am human and I will make lots of mistakes. I anticipate that modeling the mistake in stride instills confidence in the acceptance of mistake making. Pointing it out over and over, in my own behavior, I hope weaves it into the fabric of our class.

This is not only true in the classroom. I find I make mistakes in every facet of being human. Ask my daughter, my husband, my friends, those I make music with, those I play games with, those who count on me, and those who simply expect me to be kind. It doesn't always work out the way I hope, plan, or think about it inside my own head.

I say the wrong words. I invert numbers. I click the wrong thing. I measure inaccurately. I don't understand what someone means. I don't hear correctly. I miss a step in the directions. I misunderstand a concept. I lose patience. I judge. I don't see the whole system. I... I make another mistake.

There are so many ways to go wrong. Thankfully I get another chance.

3 comments:

  1. I was so tickled to see this word in print. My grandmother, who passed away nearly a decade ago was so fond of "umpteenth." I enjoyed reading your post. It reminds me of how overcritical we can be of one another when we are bound to miss the mark upon occasion. Thank you for encouraging us to own our mistakes, keep our heads of high and try to do our best in spite of our shortcomings.

    Job well done.

    ~Carla Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come to realize I am the most mistake-prone person in Middle School.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new word in my dictionary. Hmm! Interesting how you slice it any way, it has two sides. The important thing is, you are AWARE, and in the pursuit of living your life to the highest, truest expression of yourself, and that’s what matters. The rest is all HISTORY!

    ReplyDelete