Sunday, March 7, 2021

Mixed Tape Education (7/31)

  7 of 31 - SOLSC 2021


I glance, once again, at the bog of mixed tapes I pulled out of a closet a couple of months ago. Now is the time, I decide. Pressing play on the bright yellow Sportsman I am not surprised to discover the batteries are dead. Fresh batteries inserted I hear the whirring as the wheels turn. I plunk in the first tape I grab and go to look for the audio input cable. Sportsman hooked up to the big speaker as my daughter sets up for a painting project, I let her know I am choosing the music.


"Is it your music or mine?" she asked.

"Wait and see," I replied pressing play and adjusting the volume.

The restrained chorus at the start of "Joyful, Joyful" from Sister Act oozes into the room. She isn't sure about my choice, but I know that she will be hooked when the beat picks up. As the second song starts she looks up, puzzled as the songs don't seem to go together.

Time to explain the ancient medium of mixed tapes! I grab the case and start to show it to her, interrupted by her question as she holds her hand out for the case. 

"What does it do?" she asks, taking the hard plastic box.


Oh my! How do I live in a time that the case of a cassette tape is a puzzlement to my tween child? In the days of Spotify and the like I doubt she will ever understand the hours of time that this 90 minutes of wonderment took to create, but that's for another post.

5 comments:

  1. My my, you still have one of those! What memories! My kids find those stories very interesting too, when I tell them how we'd economize on clicking pictures, because each roll of film came with 36 pictures only. My son has never seen a video cassette. My daughter once asked me if, when I was 'young,' was the world really all black and white? *rolls eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am glad you have one to show your daughter. There are many items we used that our children have no idea of. I tell my children about items like the cassettes, as we have not kept any of the old gadgets. I remember my father buying a radio television in the late 1970s, I tell my children there were wonderful innovations even then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to just look at it seems in my last move I got rid of all my cassettes (but I still do have a few VCR tapes and Cds with no way to play them). It is funny to think of all the things kids today do not experience.
    PS Thanks for getting that I wrote my post in green on purpose:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure that I would have a device to play a mixed tape, but I still have one in my desk drawer that my husband made me when we first met.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ancient medium of mixed tapes -! Reminds me of kids staring at a rotary phone asking, "How do you use it?" Alas-! CDs are next, you know, as with all the streaming there's no need to have that drive on a laptop anymore.

    ReplyDelete