Wednesday, March 3, 2021

New Challenge (3/31)

  3 of 31 - SOLSC 2021


I approached today's slice without an idea of what I would write about. Optimistic that I would produce something, I opened the Two Writing Teachers blog and clicked on today's post. There was Stacey's welcoming face, and after a moment her voice accompanied her. And now I have layers of dilemmas. Not only do I have to decide what I will slice about, but I also have to decide if I will post written words, spoken words, or a video.

Ugh.

Written words are what I have prepared myself for. Carefully crafting sentences to convey meaning is the challenge I thought I had signed up for. Daily entering the practice of putting words down is the discipline that I need to build. Intentionally making room in my day to write, even when I don't want to, is one of the reasons I commit to this each March.

And now I can make a video instead?! But then I would have to contemplate what I am wearing, my face and hair, background, lighting, sound, etc. [sigh] 

She gave us a third option; an audio recording. An audio recording instantly reduces the list of possible barriers to one. I can manage to get decent sound (even without lipstick). Impromptu speaking has never been a challenge for me. Perhaps this is why it feels like an 'out' from the challenge I have set accepted for myself.

And then I circle around to my OLW; purpose. If the purpose of a video post is to provide a way for readers to put a face and audible voice with the words on the page, perhaps I will have to accept this new challenge - but not today.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Go for a new challenge! I also get wanting to focus on a daily practice of writing though. This is my first time doing Slice of Life and it has definitely increased my planning, thinking and doing of the writing craft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm.. I haven't given it much thought either, yet. I think I prefer the 'connecting with self' that writing provides. :-)

    ReplyDelete