Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Let Me Count The Ways (24/31)

  24 of 31 - SOLSC 2021


I now have one more reason to love my Instant Pot! It has been more than three years and I was shocked to find one more task simplified. I am now wondering what else I am missing. 

In the scope of my life I have not been using ghee very long. And, for as long as I have been using it, I have been making it myself. I put the butter in a cast iron pot, adjust the heat, and watch. There is a little bit of art to the science. 

Once I was nervous and stopped at clarified butter. Once I let it go too long, producing a very brown batch. One time it started to grow mold after a bit, but I think that was a family member not using a clean utensil as they dipped back in for more and contaminating the batch. I threw it out.

We use much less oil now, and buy more butter than ever. 

On top of the craft of heat and time there is also the weight of the pot that has to be lifted to pour the hot contents through the strainer. And then, once the pot has cooled, there is the cleaning part of the process.

And then one day, while pulling up a recipe online, I came across an Instant Pot recipe for ghee. I kept the window open and today, when we were out of ghee - and the Instant Pot wasn't otherwise occupied, I gave it a try.

Oh. my. gosh! Not since making my own Dulce de Leche has I been in such awe at the simplicity of something so grand. (And this is WAY less time consuming.) You put the butter in. Turn it on 'saute' for ten minutes. When the timer goes off you turn off the power and give it another couple of minutes, remove it from the Instant Pot, pour it through the strainer, and put everything into the dishwasher. Ta-da!

10 comments:

  1. Your details are incredible in this...and you have (almost) given me the confidence to try my own hand at the Instant Pot, despite the fact that I have been banished from the kitchen for many, many years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many things are really simple. Give it a try! I laugh to myself when my family praises something that comes out of the Instant Pot because if they knew how simple it was they wouldn't think of it as "Mom's" whatever. #nicetobeappreciated

      Delete
  2. Fun to read and informative! I am going to have to get out my pressure cooker today and try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara, It is the saute setting, not a pressure cooker setting. (Also, I used my glass lid and not my pressure cooker lid.)

      Delete
  3. The Instant Pot to the rescue again! I loved reading about your kitchen adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my! Homemade ghee, and made easy with the Instapot. That is a great find today. Like you said, I wonder what other things the Instapot can do that you have yet to discover!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is the third Insta Pot post I've read this week. I really, truly think I NEED one now. (Need, not want.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. Especially with Kristi’s eloquent writing, I am wondering, “Really, is it that simple?”

      Delete
    2. You do. And then you will find that you might just need more than one, since it always seems to have something in it.

      Delete
  6. Really? Is it really that simple? I want an InstaPot! Amazon, here I come again!

    ReplyDelete