Monday, March 1, 2021

Happy for March. Happy to Slice (1/31)

 1 of 31 - SOLSC 2021


I don't know that I have ever been as happy for a March to begin. Why? Today it is because the Slice of Life March Challenge begins once again. Last year I did not get to participate as we were scheduled to be in remote parts of the planet over Spring Break. (No, that didn't happen, but on March 1st I didn't know how things would unfold.) Slicing this month may be the most normal thing I do since March 8th of last year. (That was the last day students were in the building.)

For those of you who are new here, a special welcome. Even though it was many, many years ago, I remember that first March. Once a week had seemed like pressure so what was I doing committing to ever.single.day for a month?! Especially during a month that can be as crazy as March usually is? But I made it; one day at a time, finding a rhythm that works for what life looks like at the time. Additionally there is the rich inspiration that comes from others writing alongside you. You can do it! Some days you will be proud of what you have written and some days you will be glad you got it done - with lots of days in between. It's OK. You showed up and wrote and commented and as the days accumulate you realize you are closer to April than February and then it's the 31st and you've made it! (And this year the 31st is a Wednesday so there will be a break before the following Tuesday Slice.)

The month stretches before us. A chance to observe and note, watch and write, ponder and reflect. The opportunity to put words down, in first draft form, and be OK with putting them out there. The community of writers who gather together to cheer one another on, both in our writing and our lives. I love being a part of this community.

12 comments:

  1. I love your last paragraph! It is so true. What I really love about this challenge is that you focus your day on what you might be able to write about. Whether it ends up that you are "proud of what you wrote or just glad you got it done", it's still quite an accomplishment on day 31. I'm glad you were able to join this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I have been posting in Slice of life for three years but this is my first time in the March challenge. I am sure it will be a great experience. Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love that last paragraph, especially the reminder blogging is first draft writing. I keep thinking about March 2020 and the one year anniversary of Covid. Sure hope we don’t face the second anniversary next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year will be the second anniversary. There is no way around that. Hopefully year two will look very different from year one!

      Delete
  4. "Slicing this month may be the most normal thing I do since March 8th of last year." - who could have imagined that you would write a sentence like this, considering how crazy a daily writing challenge is. The community support is vital in this challenge and during the challenges life rolls on our path.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a year it has been. Yesterday my “Zoom” Bible study group spent a few minutes talking about different ways to set up your home WiFi to get the best use of bandwidth... and in the midst of it commented how a year ago we would have had no idea or understanding about such a topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! We are experts in things we never knew we were interested in.

      Delete
  6. And at this time of the year this year, there isn't much else I keep talking about, except March 8, 2020. Never. Ever. In our wildest of dreams. Did we imagine it would last this long. But like you said, it's also given all of us a chance "to observe and note, watch and write, ponder and reflect." Here's to March!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not part of the writing community but I too look forward to March when I can wake up each morning to your Slice. The joys of a Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could join this writing community. All are welcome! :)

      Delete
  8. Just copied these words from your post into my notebook: "The month stretches before us. A chance to observe and note, watch and write, ponder and reflect." I love lifting lines that inspire from friend's slices. Good to be here together. So glad you're joining us this year.

    ReplyDelete