Friday, March 15, 2019

"It's The Smell Of Freedom" (15/31)

15 of 31 - SOLSC 2019


"It stinks in here!" my nine year old declares as she climbs into the back of a blue sedan.

Adjusting the driver's seat I respond, "It's the new car smell." and then, without a conscious thought continue, "It's the smell of freedom Mrs. Landingham".

She looks at me, puzzled.

"Go say it to Daddy. He can explain."

She scrambles into the car next to us, delivering the line as instructed.

As I am waiting for the message telling me my car is ready to be picked up - all the detailing completed - I recall the above scene, which took place on the showroom floor on my birthday. It has all happened fast, at least fast for Saudi. We decided we really like one model (and the price), but wanted it in white. White was located and driven over from Jeddah. It arrived, 11 km on the odometer. I presented my credit card; purchase complete. The paperwork was next day aired from Jeddah to Dammam. Within a few hours everything was processed. Insurance and plates procured, the car safe to travel by road to get all the protective detailing done. 

And now I wait.

I let full scene with Mrs. Landingham play out in my mind, and then the rest of the episode, and realize - I don't want this to end the same way. (The least of those reasons being there is no place to reenact "Two Cathedrals" here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment